08 June 2019

New portrait, no ink

Sticking to the precepts of #30x30DirectWatercolor2019, here is a new portrait of Squires, but this time with no ink or pencil underdrawing, just straight to paper with paint.

I knew I wanted to paint this just as soon as Melissa posted it to her page. Doesn't she make a gorgeous Melisandre from Game of Thrones? She and her hub dressed up for a viewing party of the finale, and put photos on their Facebook page, and I've been giving one the eye ever since.



I had a few issues: After I had painted them, I realized that one eye was bigger than the other, and also higher, so I lifted a little paint and fiddled with both of them to make them closer to the same size and the same level. I didn't quite pull it off, and in the process made them look a little less like Squires's eyes, but at least they aren't too wonky. Her chin is also a little too big and prominent. And I definitely like doing hair better when I can map it out with ink, this all blended in too much, somehow.

All in all, she is more elegant than this, but otherwise it's pretty close.


DAY 9: MELISANDE

#30x30DirectWatercolor2019

No comments:

Post a Comment