02 February 2021

Experiment

I have some leftover odd pieces of paper, and decided to do some small paintings to use them up. Today's is a literary experiment—I'm reading a mystery novel, and the author is good at describing characters; after reading one description today, I decided to see if I could take his words and turn them into a visual of the character. So, this is Richie: His background is that he dropped out of medical school due to a bad cocaine habit, and is now a computer hacker. The description said, "Richie was in his late twenties, skinny as a one-iron, jug-eared and hawk-beaked. He wore thick, rimless glasses and had a scraggly mustache that looked like a squashed caterpillar." (I made his mustache squashy and caterpillar-like, but then couldn't resist giving him some dastardly twirlers after the fact.)

Some aspects of this were a fail: I have to stop believing despite all evidence to the contrary that I can use ink or watercolor when it comes to stencils! That mess of turquoise shapes on the left was supposed to be a cluster of numbers, but the ink leaked and moved and it looks mostly random, though you can make out a few discernible outlines. The "hawk" nose is more of a schnozz, because I didn't give him a "hump" at the bridge like I should have. Also, I keep making these characters' bodies too small to fit their heads! But I was happy with Richie's face and general demeanor, so I'm keeping him!



This is a little one, only 5.5x6.75 inches, on hotpress using Daler Rowney inks and white gel pen. A short session today, but fun.


3 comments:

  1. I love that his body is too small for his head. Makes him more quirky, and his face more important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, then we will say it was on purpose! Ha ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Love him even more now that he is in my house! Love the narrative that goes with him and intend printing that off to go with the picture. He is fabulous Melissa. Thank you soooooo much!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete