05 February 2021

Humility

Humility, thy name is acrylic! I haven't painted with acrylics in 35 years, and even then it was on great big canvases with vague landscapes or giant fruit that worked well with its painterly aspects. And I only did maybe six before switching forever to watercolor! But this week's assignment for Let's Face It 2021 was to reproduce the cover of a Nancy Drew mystery, and working that tiny in acrylic was an exercise in frustration.

I'm going to post it despite its many shortcomings because, simply, I want credit for perseverance! I won't get it for much else: She looks more like a raddled hag than a sweet young thing, and the angle on the hidden staircase is so extreme that no human could climb it (so much for perspective). But...I painted it without benefit of underdrawing, I just jumped in as the teacher instructed and painted first the big shapes, then the smaller, then the details and accents. It was hard. That shows. But it's good to try something new, and maybe eventually someone will want a LARGE painting in acrylic and I can learn to shine better in that medium.


Golden acrylics on 140-lb. Fluid hotpress watercolor paper, approximately 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment