14 March 2021

And again...

Kate, here, is yesterday's girl, and was also supposed to be gouache, like Olivia. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot, because I just don't want to go there. It took me years to get down the finicky shading of watercolor, and I don't want to have to do it all over again with gouache. I did, however, look at certain elements of the example by Charlotte Hamilton, which translated mainly to suggesting, rather than defining, all the lines in the hair, so that it has chunky highlights and shadows. It actually looks more like ombré! But that's just fine.

Charlotte painstakingly painted rose wallpaper behind her Kate, but I didn't have either the patience or the skill, so I did a base layer of pale yellow to be my lightest light, then used my stencil-and-gesso trick around the figure, covered with layers of yellow, lime green, turquoise, and pink acrylic inks to make it pop around her head.


"Kate"—pencil, gesso, stencils, Daler Rowney inks, Paul Jackson watercolors, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress paper, 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment