20 March 2021

Testing new limits

I really wanted to do a good job on this one, but it fell short of my expectations and exceeded my abilities. The tricky part was the angle of the head, capturing the jaws and chin properly so that the head looked properly tilted back, and I didn't quite achieve it. Too round on the left, too narrow on the right, a little too much forehead, and more hair showing at the top than there would be. Also, I think the nose and mouth angles are too extreme to go with the eyes, which are supposed to be looking up from under but don't...quite.

Of course, one could ask, how many portraits are you ever going to do with the person's head at this angle? This is a phenomenon of the phone selfie. It's good practice, but probably not something that will happen often. Still, it would be nice to be accomplished at capturing all angles!

I did enjoy working on the toned paper, which gives a whole different look to every color you apply; I'll do that again, even though it does then require a lot of work to bring out the highlights by using white. The demonstrating artist used white charcoal, but I didn't have any, so I used my new white ink to fairly good effect. I may have gone a little overboard there, too...


"Rhayane"—colored pencil, watercolors, white ink, on Strathmore 184-lb. Toned Tan Mixed Media paper, 9x11.5 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment